Thursday, September 16, 2010

Revelation 3:14-16

(Revelation 3:14-16) . . .“And to the angel of the congregation in La‧o‧di‧ce′a write: These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God, 15 ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or else hot. 16 So, because you are lukewarm and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of my mouth.

Note how Jesus says he 'wishes' that the congregation of Laodicea were either "cold" or "hot." Many have understood these texts to mean 'cold spiritually' or 'hot spiritually', but would Jesus really want Christians to be 'cold spiritually'? Apparently he would, since he 'wishes' for them to be so. However, I find that understanding absurd.

Clearly, or perhaps not so clearly, but i would suggested that "hot (water)" is in reference to the congregations spirituality, of course. But this I would take it as "stimulating hot" and "refreshingly cold." "Lukewarm" water is neither stimulating or refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment